The summit culminated in some important recommendations. They are summarized here and more specific strategic plans to meet various recommendations will be added.
- Share what was learned at the summit with five people on your campus, including senior academic officer
- Participate in future activities related to transforming systems of service-engagement
- Establish locally relevant, operationalized definitions (taxonomy) of service and engagement with clear standards and criteria
- Make service and engagement visible and aligned with organizational goals
- Reduce unnecessary committees and committee memberships to the level necessary to complete the task.
- Implement credit systems (incentives) to support broader distribution of faculty service work tied to policies or practices to facilitate equity
- Try pilot programs and audit practices (leveraging current research and summit resources) to create incremental change
- Develop case studies of integrated scholarship/engagement and integrated teaching/scholarship for faculty development
- Develop a service ‘impact factor’ for faculty reappointment/promotion similar to what is used in research and teaching evaluation
- Harness professional societies to create disciplinary norms, guidelines, and expectations for valuing service and engagement
- Broadly disseminate best practices and recommendations through publications and convenings of higher education leaders